Sunday, September 7, 2008

A bountiful harvest




Apple Crisp, Apple Sauce, Apple jelly, Apples Apples Apples .... Anyone have any yummy recipes for apples? Last week I was walking around the yard and found an apple tree LOADED with apples. When we moved in there was a huge limb full of apples that had broken off due to the weather .. so I thought there weren't many apples left. Well, I found out differently. I have picked as many as I can and have worked at peeling, coring, cutting and freezing as much as I can -- more to go. However, there are still tons on the tree. I borrowed a six foot ladder from a friend and realized that wasn't tall enough ... then I borrowed a 10 foot ladder from my boss/landlord and it STILL wasn't tall enough (actually if I would have been brave enough to climb two more rungs .. maybe .. but unbeknownst to me .... I am scared of ladder heights. Luckily, Jerry was holding the ladder for me or I wouldn't have gone as far as I did.


Yesterday Jerry and I were sitting on the back porch watcing Grissom run around in our HUGE back yard and Jerry pointed out that he thought we had another apple tree. I went to investigate and they weren't apples, but walnuts. Wow! we are gonna have some fun times with these! I checked out the harvesting process for walnuts ... not so sure I'm smart enough, but we will give it a go! Oh, before I read about harvesting the walnuts I started hulling a couple and guess what ... the Walnut stain color is truely walnut! I didn't realize that if you don't wear gloves your hands will be stained ... you guessed it my hands are a beautiful walnut ... I guess I better go buy some gloves!

6 comments:

Heather said...

nuts will stain - crazy isn't it? We have an apple tree, too. Our dog eats them!

DeGooyer Family said...

I like this recipe:

8 McIntosh or Rome Beauty apples (about 8 cups), peeled and chopped
3 cups water
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Place chopped apples in a deep pot. Add water, sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes, or until the apples begin to break down. Lower to a simmer and cook 15-20 minutes, or until the apples are completely soft. Stir well with a spoon until a thick sauce forms.

Leave a few lumps and bumps in it or puree it in a blender for a smooth finish. Make sure to let it cool first before pouring it the blender!

Let the sauce cool before serving.

Ann Michelle said...

Pam,

The apples look delicious. Maybe we will come to your house for dessert (LOL). Miss you guys tons.

sarahtuckett said...

Crock Pot Apple Butter ---

This is the best, so easy and it makes your house smell so good....

Enough apples to fill slow cooker.(The older kind that were a little smaller than our huge ones we have today)

4 cups sugar
4 tsp cinn
1/4 tsp cloves (ground)
1/4 tsp salt

Fill slow cooker, and pour over sugar and spices. Cook on high 1 hour then turn to low -- cook all day until thick and brown. Freeze or process 15-20 minutes.

YUMMY!!! Wish I was there, I would take some off your hands.

Chloe said...

You should send some to me. I LOVE apples. (Hmm..college care package, maybe?) :D

Heather said...

Hello {tap, tap, tap} is this blog on??